Today is the best day of the year (aka it’s my birthday, duh)! 21 years ago God sent me to this Earth for reasons I am still working to understand sometimes. It has been 21 years full of growth, pain, laughter, tears, victories, failures and everything in between. I cannot say that I am even close to having my life altogether, but I can say that I am only where I am at today thanks to one person: God.
In honor of my 21st birthday, I wanted to share 21 bible verses that I strive to live by on a daily basis and why I do that. These verses are an encouragement and a great reminder of who my Creator is and what he stands for. Now, remember, this has taken me a full 21 years to understand these lessons and I am still constantly learning and growing in my faith. So take heart, and let these verses encourage you.
1. “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12
Growing up is a constant struggle because there will always be someone older than you that makes you feel inadequate. Your age does not matter, God calls you to set an example in everything that you do.
2. “Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10
This is one of my favorite verses. In the midst of my chaotic life, I like to take a second to just be still and remember who my God is.
3. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
What a picture perfect definition of love from our creator. What I like to do is take out the word “love” and replace it with my name. “Sierra” is patient, “Sierra” is kind. That’s how we should live.
4. “Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” Proverbs 31:30
Outward beauty is nothing compared to the inner beauty that comes from loving and serving the Lord with your whole heart.
5. “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18
When life gets you down, just remember that this world is not meant to be our home. We have bigger and better things waiting for us in heaven.
6. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
As someone who tends to have a lot of fear in her life, I love to lean on this verse. God will always be my strength and he will always be right by my side.
7. “God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.” Psalm 46:5
With God, nothing can touch you. God only wants to push you to succeed.
8. “She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.” Proverbs 31:20
A proverbs 31 woman is exactly who I strive to be like. Someone that cares for things bigger than herself.
9. “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
God created each and everyone of us with a special care and love. He created each of us to serve a specific purpose.
10. “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” 1 Peter 3:3-4
It’s easy to get caught up in the worlds image of beauty, but the only one that really matters is the inner beauty that comes with following Jesus Christ.
11. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
God knows what he is doing. He has our whole lives planned out and he is with us every single step of the way.
12. “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.” Proverbs 31:25
How incredible is it to trust God fully to not be scared at the days to come? That is how I want to live my life.
13. “You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you.” Song of Songs 4:7
Leave it to God to make a girl feel like a princess even on the darkest days. I love how much our creator loves us!
14. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
God is with us wherever we go, so we might as well walk with our heads high and ready to go.
15. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
Anxiety is such a struggle, but God is ready to grant us peace. We have to discern what the world is telling us versus what God is telling us. Our God only wants to give us peace and strength.
16. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
A perfect reminder of how much our God loves us. He sent his own flesh and blood to this earth only to be killed on the cross for our sins. He rose again & allowed us to live eternally in heaven.
17. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:4
Sadly, tragedy happens. We lose people we love, we hurt, we grieve. But one day, God is coming back and all of that pain will be gone.
18. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
God has overcome the world, so what is there to fear?
19. “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
I love this. If God is for us, who can be against us? The answer: absolutely nobody can be against us. The devil will try, but God always prevails.
20. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39
Nothing. Absolutely nothing can separate us from the never ending love of our Creator. How incredible is that?
21. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. ” Deuteronomy 31:6
God is always on our side. He wants the best for us, and he is ready to pick us up no matter where we are at in life.